Thursday, January 24, 2013

It was so quiet!

It's either crazy at the barn or no one is around. I had the arena to myself for my lesson and then Ann came an joined us on Buda- Henry's neighbor and BFF... she joked that when he bucked her off (he's in rehab and full of himself tho he was really not to bad today) that I better run cause he was coming to play with Henry. I then told my trainer to get her running shoes on and be ready to grab Buda... thankfully all was well and none of the above happened :)

it's raining again- booo!

Gave Henry a little lunge to get the boogie men out and then hopped on... We did some interesting work with polls today to warm up.





The skinny lines are polls, the stars are standards that are super close together and the thick lines are jumps.

I went around the arena 2 or 3 times at the trot and then my trainer had me go over the polls in ever direction and all sorts of combinations and even added in the X a few times. After I had hit them all she had me go through the two by the oxer to the one by the stars and then a light left roll back and through the stars (standards) then to the diagonal on the bottom left back to the one by the stars. Then we went the other way with all sorts of turns- she called them out and I did them, including the X haha!

Walked a bit and chatted and then cantered both ways- Henry was up a bit as every time we passed or went by Buda they both got super excited lol.

Then we did a X a few more time to warm him up for the next crazy adventure ... Today was all about turning- I guess out crazy turns on Tuesday needed some help :)

We did the oxer with a sharp/roll back turn either right or left depending on what she called to me. This kept me really alert and Henry confused ha! Once he really started listening to me it went MUCH better. I had to really sit up, use my outside leg/inside rein and make sure to not use my outside rein on the turns.

Henry was lathered when we were done.

Cooled him out, untacked, put on a cooler, let him eat grain, cleaned ALL my tack, groomed Henry really well, re blanketed and took him home.

Trainer ride tomorrow and lesson on Saturday :)

22 comments:

  1. I've done a crazy exercise with poles like that as well. My instructor put poles down all over the place in the arena and had us pick our own paths, changing directions and going over as many poles as possible without running into each other. Definitely keeps things interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was left right left right left right reverse roll back .. etc lol!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a tricky exercise! Sorry about the rain...I will never like rain or cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know me either- Summer and 75 all the time please! ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds fun! I can't wait till little Mex grows up and we start doing exercises like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How old is she now? Get that girl going! lol :)

      Delete
  4. Cleaning all your tack is quite the admirable feat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well all the tack that is at the barn haha! :) But thanks!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It was... when she was setting it up I was so confused but she always has something interesting up here sleeve :)

      Delete
  6. That sounds like so much fun. !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love poles....I always leave them scattered everywhere and add them into my ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's going to soo strange but I love cleaning tack I think it's kinda therapeutic. Glad you had fun :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that is a neat exercise, and one that can be done without a trainer I think, to break up boring practice rides. Good for you on the tack...I've been "meaning to" for a few weeks now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We aren't allowed to jump alone but hey you can totally use it! :)

      Sometime I am just in the mood to clean! That never happens at home tho lol!

      Delete
  10. Looks like a fun exercise. I have seriously been slacking on my tack cleaning...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well people keep taking your stuff so they should clean it!!!

      Delete

Henry and I love to hear from you guys! Leave us comments!!! :)