Thursday, January 10, 2013

Grind work baby!

Had a lesson today... I set up the jump so a grid it was!

Henry and his FAV neighbor Buda...  and apparently he moves his water bucket into his stall.


Tacked up, thought I would do a quick lunge and he was WILD - I stood there while he ran around like a crazy, untamed, screaming (to who know who) horse!

He finally chilled out a little so i stopped him and got on. He was still breathing heavy, blowing and head in the air but I didn't have all day! haha

Hacked around, my trainer was riding her horse and J was riding her horse Louie so it was a nice little crowd of us :)

Onto jumping... I set up 3 jumps- 1 stride between each. We started with figure 8ing the last jump and lead changes. Then we moved onto figure 8ing the middle jump- again leads and balance. Then I did all three. Apparently I set the distance between 1 and 2 a little long so I really had to get Henry forward and then back to normal between 2 and 3. He was very well behaved!

We did some more tricky "handy" riding and it was fun!

Cooled him out as he was LATHERED and I was roasting (even though it was 45 deg outside). A slight rinse of the saddle area and then I finished pulling his mane as he sat in a cooler to dry off.

Whats that?!
Back to grazing ...
 Let him graze a little while he continued to dry.

Cleaned up my mess, grained and loved on him!

Trainer ride tomorrow, lesson Saturday along with watching to Hawley clinic :)

23 comments:

  1. It's always fun to set your own jumps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so handsome! I kind of like it when they are wild and kick their heels up a bit, it's cute even if it is annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was better at setting jumps! We aren't allowed to do grid work on our own. (Which is fine bc no one knows how to set them anyways)! Glad you had a good school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol we aren't allowed to jump at all on our own :)

      Delete
  4. All I can say is SUN!! I miss it so. Glad you had a good ride!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's super cold out tho so don't be too jealous :)

      Delete
  5. I am with savvymom, I think I have to stop reading your blog as long as you have green grass and blue skies and I have cold and wet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you had fun! I haven't done grid work in forever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to agree with some of the other comments. It looks lovely over there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! it's cold if that makes you feel better! :)

      Delete
  8. I'm with Savvymon & Jen, your pics make me green with envy. We're looking at snow for the weekend which I really hope won't de-rail Nancy's arrival! :(
    Glad to hear all went well with Henry's ride, even if he was a bit beastly & wild in the pen! ;) All the better when the subsequent ride is good!
    I hope you have a great weekend & get loads from your lesson & the clinic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a really great exercise/good ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it totally was!! :D Love feeling great after a hard lesson!

      Delete
  10. I am agreeing with everyone...so sunny and nice there!! Although we did have warm temps today, now its a lake everywhere with all the melted snow lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aye... get out your wet suites- swimming but you are warm lol!

      Delete

Henry and I love to hear from you guys! Leave us comments!!! :)