Sunday, November 8, 2015

Time for a Cowboy



This dude...

Has been saddles, backed, w/t/c, blanketed, bathed, man parts washed, feet done and shod, lead, tied, trailered. fly mask, ponied, grained, wormed, teeth done, gelded... you get the point ha!

Our current road block has been lunging- he was great!! And then he decided he wasn't cooperating anymore which I have mentioned before... it is really frustrating.

SO my plan is to have a local colt starter work with him... he is a great guy who rides really well, is't rough or aggressive with the babies and comes highly recommended.

I would rather not deal with bucking or sass ha! I figure a few rides here and there this winter and then come spring hopefully I can put him in a month or two of full training. Hopefully that will get a great start on him and then I can take over again.

I feel like I have done a great job with him but can't really get hurt- he's such a sweet boy and I want him to stay that way, though this lunging issue doesn't show off his nice side lol!

8 comments:

  1. You're totally right, you want him to stay sweet and have lots of good, confidence building experiences. Sounds like the right plan. Him not lunging perfect as a 2yo is 100% ok. It's prob his way of testing you but also wise to give it a rest, let him grow up a bit and not create bad habits or bad experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I think this Cowboy will continue with the path I have started really well :)

      Delete
  2. there's nothing like a good cowboy. I used one to start Steele and I never regretted it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great plan for getting him started well!! hopefully he figures out how to play nice asap :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he will.. I often remind him he is a gelding when he's being sassy to lung lol!

      Delete

Henry and I love to hear from you guys! Leave us comments!!! :)