Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Just keep hacking...

I went up and hacked last night.

Rode in what we hope to be our new show bit...


http://www.equusnow.com/prodimages/BrokenSegundaD.jpg

At the beginning of our ride we had a little fight but he decided I was awarded boss lady status. WOOT! He went well in this bit and I worked really hard at being soft and having a long and low headset. I did lots of transitions and worked on him staying where he belonged.. in the indoor ring his attention is everywhere but me it feels like so it wasn't till the last 15 min of my ride that he was fully to my liking engaged and listening ALL THE WAY AROUND THE RING.

Trainer ride today and she's going to ride in the above bit to see how she likes it. Lesson tomorrow plug mane pulling and clipping. Hack Friday plus a bath and packing the trailer. Hopefully SHOW Saturday and Sunday :)

7 comments:

  1. Segundas are a really nice tool. I only like the ones that don't have sharp hooks where the "bridge" attaches. I hope you guys have found THE bit :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a lot of success on my quarter horse. when we started jumping, he got way too strong because he loved it way too much- it was the only bit that allowed me to stay soft but keep his focus. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for new bits! Libby is in a gag right now, which is totally illegal for shows, but it works well for her now, since she can sometimes become very heavy. I remember being a little girl and wishing I could use this bit on the horses I rode, just because I thought the name was cool, and because it reminded me of a smiley face. Those were the days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I too remember the days... Then I tried my old horse in one and he freaked out. Now I avoid them like the plague... I always thought pelhams were "so cool" then I realized how much I liked riding with one set of reins!

      Delete
  4. We have been using a Mikmar for training and this for show.. or so that is the plan :) I feel like we have used/tried tons of bits- the joys of a young horse and training right?! haha!

    Shelley i've def used a few that aren't legal- including the mikmar and a gag haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They all have their purposes. I think a lot of people use segundas. New bits are fun but can get pricey quick! Especially when your horse uses fancy mikmar bits ;)

      Delete
    2. The Mikmars are crazy expensive!!!!

      Delete

Henry and I love to hear from you guys! Leave us comments!!! :)